Welcome! I am so glad you have joined me here at
nicplynel: art, faith, life.
I am a Christian artist sharing my art as a ministry.
I have been creating art of one kind or another my whole life, and have always been drawn to quotes and calligraphy. My current art style and this blog grew out of my morning journal. For years, I kept a gratitude journal, writing down a few things each day to be thankful for and my thoughts. Then in 2012, my battle with depression got worse. I discovered art journaling and I decided to make sure I would spend 15 minutes a day painting and drawing in response to reading the Bible and a devotion. As I painted more, and as God whispered healing words to me, the artwork poured out along with my faith. I decided to share some of the pieces on Facebook, and before I knew it, people were requesting more. And the blog and Etsy store were born.
I love that my artwork touches other people, and am so thankful you are here.
In addition to making art and writing I am a wife (to Jeffrey–been together 24 years planning at least 24 more) and mommy to 3 kids: Phoebe, Annika and Tanner. Here they are:
Some fun facts:
1. I grew up in small town Iowa.
2. I am a teacher–whether in the public schools, private lessons, as a homeschooler (4 years with my kiddos), or wherever. I love to teach and share how awesome art is. Currently I teach K-6 elementary art which is super fun!
3. My husband’s job moved us a lot, so each kid was born in a different state (Michigan, Utah, and Ohio). We lived outside Chicago for 8 years. Now we live in Belmond, Iowa.
4. I cope with depression. Mine stems from PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder–which affects only 8% of women and is a dramatic drop in serotonin with other hormonal changes). I have had some really really bad stints, and I am really, really good at hiding it, so most people are surprised by how bad I let it get. Along with meds, faith, and my painting I am moving forward mentally healthy.
5. I love to read. See the tags for books. 🙂 There are a few.
6. I NEED color and sunshine. Seriously need it. My house is somewhat of a rainbow and I dress in all sorts of colors. Bright, never pastel.
7. I am honest and have a tendency to share a lot, my heart tends to be on my sleeve or leaking out of my eyes. I want to see and share the beauty that is around us each and every day in the world, even if it is hard. You will see how all of those things play into my artwork and my daily life.
8. I love to sing and dance. And I do it with abandon, because really, that is the most fun way.
9. I grew up Lutheran, but I just like all things faith based.
10. I prefer watercolor, collage, and drawing. I really like chalk pastels, but white carpet is holding me back. Oils give me migraines, and acrylics are too opaque for me. I am horrible at clay. 🙂